***If you suspect that you have a virus on your personal computer, please try the following***
***Do NOT install on VT Owned Equipment***
- Download MalwareBytes. (Note: This link will automatically begin the download)
- Once the download finishes, right click on the file and select “Rename.”
i. Rename the file to “removaltool.” This is done because some viruses might block the file from opening with the original name.
- Do NOT install the file now. You will install the file in Step 9.
- Restart your computer.
- As soon as your computer turns back on, press the F8 key repeatedly until you get to the “Advanced Boot Options” screen.
- Select “Safe Mode with Networking.”
- Login to your computer using your normal password.
i. You can close any windows that pop up after it finishes loading.
- Make sure that you are connected to the internet by either a wireless network or a wired connection.
- Double click the “removaltool” file that you downloaded earlier. Install the program by following the on screen instructions.
- Once the program is installed, make sure that you update it.
- Once the program is up to date, select the box next to “Perform Full Scan,” and click “Scan.”
- Once it finishes, restart your computer and log in normally.
If the problem persists, stop by the SWAT office during business hours and we will take a look at it.